The original site of the Manor House in Martock was west of the church (see The Moat House). This Manor House, in Church Street was built in the 17th century, and bears a date stone of 1679.
In the 18th century it became the property of the Gooden family who later bought the Lordship of the Manor. The family farmed some 462 acres – the buildings to the left of and behind the Manor House are the original farm buildings. In 1879 the Manor House burnt down, but was rebuilt in the same style.