Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

The Ebenezer chapel was built in 1791, founded by the Rev Christopher Hull, an itinerant preacher. The congregation was described as ‘Independent’, whose faith differed from the Church of England in that its doctrine was based on Holy Scripture interpreted by the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

In 1847 the building was denominated a Congregational Church, and by the 1970s it was a member of the United Reform Church, which it remains to the present day. Until recent years the residents of Bower Hinton regarded themselves as separate from Martock, and the chapel was an important part of their religious and social life.

The premises, built by its members of local hamstone, comprise a chapel, hall and manse, and there is a burial ground at the rear of the building.

Is there anything wrong with this page? Report it here