Skip to content Skip to main navigation Skip to footer

Madey Mill in East Street is mentioned in the Doomsday Book of 1086, but little is known about the house until 1592, when records show that it was owned by the Gould family, who remained in occupation until the mill passed to the Lord of the Manor.

In 1717 it was sold to Thomas Hopkins, a member of a prominent milling family, and was described in the deed of sale as ‘a water and malt mill’ By 1807 it had passed to Jesse Hopkins, and in 1865 to Culliford Hopkins, when it comprised a ‘boiler house, bakehouse and water wheel’.

The 17th century mill building still has much of its machinery inside, including a 3m overshot wheel made by Sparrows of Martock. It has a long mill leet to feed this high wheel, which a public footpath follows for some distance. The traditional farm buildings are still used for dairying.

Is there anything wrong with this page? Report it here