‘The George’ is Martock’s oldest inn, first mentioned by name in 1631. At various times in its history it was used by friendly Societies, by parochial bodies and by a Masonic Lodge, as well as by local business people, including one Mr Stocker, a local clockmaker (1730-1817) who introduced the hire purchase system to Martock, collecting his monthly payments here. While his shop was in the White Horse Inn in North Street. Several of his clocks still remain in Martock.
The George ceased trading as a public house in 2011, and, together with its skittle alley, currently belongs to the Martock Christian Fellowship.